Thursday, December 01, 2005

Why Worry?

I've always been a worrier. This guy has got nothing on me. I think part of my problem is that, as a child, I deliberately used anxiety to motivate me to study hard for exams. I was fairly successful at school and university, but I think the strategy has had long term consequences and I'm now having to learn other approaches to compensate. However, being a Hopeless Neurotic doesn't mean I'm a Bad Person!

I was surprised to read here , however, that some boffins are claiming that a tenth of 2-5 year olds have a serious psychiatric illness! I've not read the original article, but I think it's interesting that the news comes from a survey by The Priory Group. Call me cynical if you like, but wouldn't this group have a certain vested interest in uncovering latent psychiatric morbidity?