Monday, June 13, 2005

Del.icio.usly Simple!

I may be preaching to the converted here, but I'd highly recommend Del.icio.us to those of you who haven't tried it. Until very recently, I had avoided trying it because the page design looked really geeky, and all that talk of strange things called bookmarklets made me think that the whole affair was beyond my technical capabilities.

In fact, the site is really easy to use. If you use Firefox (I haven't tried it with Internet Explorer), the bookmarklets work like a dream: you simply drag them to your link bar. Once you've created a free account, you can start saving your bookmarks onto the Del.icio.us server and then access them from any computer, be it at home or at work. I find that incredibly useful.

You can look at the popular links, or subscribe to those of a fellow user that shares similar interests to you. If you're interested in a particular subject, photography say, you can look at or subscribe to, links with the appropriate tag.

De.lirio.us is similar, but the interface is not quite as good, and the content (at present) seems narrower in terms of subject matter: very much IT-related stuff. However, it too is free and I think it's well worth registering with both sites. There are several other bookmark-sharing websites, but I've not really looked at them in any detail.

One thing I can't work out is how a site like Del.icio.us pays for itself. Anybody out there know?