Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Thoughts On The European Constitution

I've always considered myself Scottish first, British second and European third, but at least I do think of myself as a European. I can see definite advantages in there being free trade in a Single European Market, and fairly unrestricted movement of labour within it. The Euro seems a good idea when I have money left over from my holiday at Easter and I can spend it in the summer in a different part of Europe. It's when you realise that if the UK joined the Euro that the European Central Bank would decide UK interest rates that the whole thing starts to unravel.

I really don't think that an United States of Europe, made up of more than two dozen countries that not only have major cultural differences but have in many cases have been at war with each other, has a chance of working. The fact that the existing member countries can't even agree on what to do when two of them vote against the proposed constitution I think speaks volumes! The egotistical politicians who see themselves as future Presidents of Europe should be getting the message that this is not what the people of Europe want. Maybe they should start consulting them on what they do want?