Sunday, January 30, 2005

Why Am I Fat Then?

One of my many faults is the fact that I have great difficulty concentrating on one thing at a time. I tend to start doing one thing then get distracted before I've finished and go off to do something else.

According to an article in The Independent on Friday, "Natural fidgets keep slim without effort". It reports the findings of a study that showed that "people who fidget find it easy to lose weight because they may have inherited a biological tendency to burn calories without even trying". The boffins have termed the process by which fidgets lose this weight Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT).

By my reckoning, I should be doing lots of NEAT. So why am I still a fat bloater?

Dr Levine of the Mayo Clinic reckons that obese people could be educated to develop habits that involved fidgeting and other body movements. So watch out for the Fidgeting Fatties!