Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Happy Wanderer

Another Mark Twain quotation that I have come across recently is

"Travel is fatal to prejudice".

If I won a fortune on the Lottery (which is pretty unlikely since I very rarely purchase a ticket), I'd probably buy a fancy car and a bigger house, but the most radical change I'd make to make to my life would be to travel further and more often.

Travel really does broaden the mind, and the more exposure I've had to people in other countries, the more I get the feeling that humans of different nationalities have far more similarities than differences. Contact with people in their own countries tends to expose the falsehood of racial stereotypes. It lets you see that, for example, not all Irish people are feckless and stupid, not all French people are arrogant and rude, not all Americans are intent on world domination, and finally not all Germans have no sense of humour (thanks to memepool).