Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Brief Respite From Florence

The Sunday Times' Talking Heads column is often a rich source of topical quotations, but this week they've really surpassed themselves. Gems include:

"The most terrifying thing I've ever had to do was sit opposite Salman Rushdie at parents' evening and tell him his son was rubbish at English."
The teacher of Rushdie's son, Zafar.

"I'm racist? How can that even be possible? I was a friend of Michael Jackson's back when he was black."
Joan Rivers on Radio 4's Midweek.

"He's a lovely young man. I wouldn't mind if my daughter brought him home."
Ken Livingstone referring to David Cameron (yes, the Tory leadership contender)!
But for me the prize has to go to:
"The point is that young people are the same as they always were: they are just as ignorant."
Prince Phillip.
Why do the words "pot", "kettle" and "black" keep bouncing around my head?